7/16/08

Tender mercies

I am so behind in my blog and I will eventually catch up, but I wanted to write this before the moment passed.

I am a leader in my wards nursery, and there are a LOT of kids! The average number comes to about 14 (that's kids under 2, we have jr & sr nursery because of the high volume!). Since they are so young, it can be a challenge to teach lessons at their understanding level. Anyway, last week it was my turn to teach, and the topic was about families being together forever, with emphasis on the temple. So during their snack time (which is when we teach the lesson; they are all sitting down and quiet!), I told them about the temple and how we make promises with Heavenly Father there, and how when we are sealed to our families, that means we can give hugs and kisses to our mommies and daddies and siblings forever and ever and ever (I know, totally basic level!). Then I passed out a picture of the temple that they could color if they wanted to. A lot of times in nursery, you wonder if you get anything across at all since they are so young and at different development levels. Then Lincoln (who is in my nursery class) did something just now that reaffirmed to me that I was in the right place.


All week, he has been saying at random times "te-home". I had no idea what he was trying to say, because he didn't point at anything, and he is usually really good at articulating his words. But today before dinner, he points to the fridge and says it again: "te-home". Then it totally dawned on me. He was pointing to our San Diego Temple fridge magnet! Just that little gesture was enough for me to get all teary-eyed. He was listening! He understood!


My crazy, energetic, fearless, totally BOY, gets-into-everything (and yes, that's daddy's razor he's 'using'. Apparently he is at the mimicking stage.) firstborn was listening to me teach about the temple. And he got it! Even as I write this, I am overcome with emotion.

Life has not been easy to say the least these past few months. Bryan and I are trying to stay positive and faithful that everything will work itself out, but anyone who has gone through very difficult times knows what it feels like to be up nights worrying about the future.

But amidst all this, I know that Heavenly Father is real. I know He loves me, and He knows I'm doing the best that I know how to at this moment in life's journey. I know He is waiting to bless me with everything He has. I know that He will make up for what I lack. And I am so grateful that He gives us these tender mercies for us to refocus our energies. I love my family and I am so grateful for them!



I hope that this silly little post will help other people in whatever hard thing they are faced with. I know that Heavenly Father is mindful of us all, even when we think He has forgotten us completely sometimes. Take heart! He really is on your team, and He wants to help you succeed!

6 devoted readers:

Carli said...

nicely said! Thank you for that post. It was really sweet!

Tiffany said...

Thanks for sharing that sweet post! It was so nice to read about your testimony and your experience!

Raadgep Fam said...

GREAT POST! I hope you have a good weekend!

Hazen5 said...

That was beautifully written! I hope things are going your way, you deserve it.

queenieweenie said...

that is so sweet. our kids really do listen to us...AMAZING!!!

Hang in there.

Katie Harding said...

Sarah! I am sooo glad you shared that on your blog. It totally brought tears to my eyes!I love little moments like that. It's funny how sweet little things like that make all the big bad stuff go away! I'm going to email you an experience that Eric and I had a few years back. I think it will help you through this difficult time! I know that God is well aware of you and He will give you all you need to overcome your trials!