1/11/10

52 weeks project- Week 1

I'm sure you've seen this go around blog-ville a few times; Counting your blessings for each week of the year. Basically, the point is to realize how blessed you are, even when you feel like you're not. So I'm excited to participate this year!
It's pretty simple; for each week of the year, you write about one thing you are grateful for. Hence, 52 'gratefuls', 52, weeks project. And for week one:


Tithing

I am glad that we are commanded to live the law of tithing. This consists of giving ten percent of your income to the church (our family gives to the LDS church, which we are members), which in turn uses it for church growth and maintenance. Namely, Temple construction, church building maintenance, the Missionary fund, etc.

I am also grateful for the blessings that come with paying a faithful tithe. It is not always easy, and I am by no means a perfect tithe-payer, but we have been pulled out of the fire so many times, because Heavenly Father is a loving Father and He knows what we need versus what we want. It's impossible to not see the correlation between paying our tithing and seeing countless blessings in our lives.

I have always had a testimony (belief) in tithing, and some years are harder than others, but 2009 has given me more than a few opportunities to test my faith.

I don't have an amazing story to tell you, but I do recall a conversation I had with a sister in law a while ago. The subject of tithing came up in conversation, and the well-known bible scripture in Malachi was mentioned:

..."Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." (Malachi 3:10)

She mentioned a day trip she and her family took to Thanksgiving Point in Utah. There are beautiful gardens and waterfalls there, among other cool, family oriented things to do. She talked about a specific water feature, where there is a plaque of that scripture next to a large waterfall. She said she always thought that the 'pouring of blessings' was maybe a trickle from a pitcher in her mind. But she saw in front of her a waterfall of blessings! What a stunning visual representation of what Heavenly Father is capable of!

So I'm grateful for tithing. And I'm also grateful that Heavenly Father is always willing to bless us, in so many ways.

1 devoted readers:

Raadgep Fam said...

Tithing is such a blessing, Mike and I are trying so hard to be full tithe payers this year. We even made a great budget and that was first! I am so excited to come and see you in April. You better have time for me to come and steal that precious baby of yours!
I love you