10/23/09

I totally get it now

To all of you who have girls... I get it now!

I understand why everyone 'oohs' and 'awes' over baby shopping. I understand why you just can't help yourself 'just looking' at the baby clothes, and snagging a great find or two. Every shopping trip. I now understand why it's so easy to get in trouble at the checkout counter!
90% of everything is super cute! I mean, adorable! It's such a different experience! With boy gear, about 30% of it is really dorky. Like, 'if I put my kid in this they will get beat up' dorky. Not to mention, the selection of clothing/shoes is slim to none compared to the smorgasbord of girl items. Really.
I have sooooo much less of that while perusing for girl items. I don't have to scrutinize each and every purchase for the dorkiness factor. AND... there are actually cute shoes that I have several kids' sizes to choose from. It's so refreshing! And really scary that I can blow so much money on an infant who won't be born until late February.
There is a flipside, however. Modesty is already an issue??? Wow. I mean, holy WOW. Baby string bikinis? I'm just worried about sunburn! :) Who on earth thought it was a good idea to make g-string underwear for a 3 year old? I can see this being a potential lifelong battle. So maybe having to worry about the dorkiness factor isn't so bad. :) But it's still way fun to shop for all things delicate, girly, and feminine!

4 devoted readers:

Dan~Kerst~Bree~Bryce~Braden~Briggs~Brooklyn said...

I am so excited for you! And, I totally agree. I love shopping for Bree more than myself (no trying on, etc., and you know it will be cute). Don't get me started on shoes. My child will be really good in the store if I let her try on shoes! :)

Ruth said...

Yes, that's how it is with girls! I really can never walk into Baby Gap - it's dangerous for me! I worry about the modesty thing too! I'm just trying to start her early and hope that helps! :)

queenieweenie said...

just wait...you'll have matching bows and flowers for EVERY outfit!

Ashley said...

Oh my GOSH yes, shopping for baby girls and toddler girls is the most fun, addicting thing in the world. I have probably spent a small fortune at Gymboree, Baby Gap, and of course on bows and flowers for their hair. Gymboree especially, they get me every time with their adorable outfits! I just always shop the sales at least, and Gymboree has them going all the time.